Sunday, February 7, 2016

Blowing Up A Bus On Lambeth Bridge

I had an amazing time today watching Bond director Martin Campbell blowing up a bus on Lambeth Bridge in London.

Martin is halfway through filming my book The Chinaman, starring Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. The bus blowing up is one of the major stunts in the movie and cost more than £300,000.

It could only be done once, obviously, so it was rehearsed several times so that all ten cameras (including one in a helicopter) would capture the shot.

It looked amazing, and my hats are off to the nine stuntmen who were actually on the bus when it exploded! Here's the picture I took!


The explosion was reported on ITV and most newspaper websites carried photographs and video!

This is how ITV reported it -  CLICK HERE

This is how the Daily Mail reported it - CLICK HERE

The Guardian, possibly the worst newspaper in the world IMHO, reported that Londoners were terrified as they thought it was a real terrorist bombing.  Absolute nonsense, of course, but I realised long ago that you can't believe anything in The Guardian. I was there, no one was terrified. And there was plenty of warning as to what was going on.

I saw a lot of the footage taken and it was amazing, truly amazing. Martin Campbell is a genius.

After the explosion I was allowed on to the bridge to inspect the damage with screenwriter David Marconi.


To be honest, there isn't a bus bombing in The Chinaman. I wrote about a bombing at the racecourse at Ascot but they weren't happy about having a bomb there so David wrote a bus bomb scene. I'm glad he did because it's really effective.



What was really cool was that Pierce Brosnan turned up to watch, even though it was his day off. He wandered around in a warm jacket and a baseball cap and was virtually unrecognised! Like the rest of us, he captured the explosion on his phone!

It's going to be a great movie and I'm really looking forward to seeing it on the big screen!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Awesome Stephen.

Unknown said...

Just finished watching the Chinaman adaptation. Great film. Let's see Spider next.