Thursday, March 5, 2015

Great Cheap Chilli Recipes Book From Jeremy Dun

I'm a huge fan of chilli. I eat lots of it. I've cut back on carbs so these days I tend to cut out the rice and bread and eat my chilli neat.

Generally I use a slow cooker - in my experience the slower you cook your chilli the better.  And I'm always looking for new recipes to try. That's why I was so excited by this new book from Jeremy Dun - it's packed with great recipes that I'm just itching to try. And it's only £1.99 at the moment.


You can buy Jeremy Dun's chilli cookbook BY CLICKING THIS LINK

There are some great recipes in the book, including a chicken and chorizio chilli that I can't wait to try.

My own recipe for chilli? Okay, twist my arm and I'll tell you. Though be warned, I'm used to Thai food so I like my chilli hot, hot, hot! Anyway, here's how to make Stephen Leather's world famous chilli! I always start by browning half a dozen chopped cloves of garlic in olive oil. I use a wok, it's easier. Then I brown my beef. Minced is best but sometimes I use chopped steak. A pound is usually enough but you can use more if you like it meatier. I brown it with some salt and then throw in a chopped onion.  Then I throw in four tablespoons of chilli powder and brown for another couple of minutes.

I put two cans of chopped tomatoes in a slow cooker, then add the browned meat. Then I throw in two tins of red kidney beans. Always wash and drain them first. I'm not a big fan of dried beans, tinned always taste better and there's no risk of poisoning yourself. I add a small can of tomato puree. Then my little secret. I put frozen chopped jalapeƱo peppers in, just a couple of teaspoonfuls but wow do they add a kick. I buy them from Waitrose. If I have any Thai chillies around I chop them up finely, seeds and all, and toss them in.

I throw in some cayenne pepper for good luck, then give it a good stir and cook for at least six hours on a low heat. I like my sauce quite thick so depending on how much water has evaporated during the cooking I sometimes use cornflour to thicken it right at the last minute. Oh, and I like to sprinkle diced avocado on the top, but that's just me!

Any that I don't eat the first time I freeze and I have to say that it tastes better after it's frozen and thawed. But be warned - my recipe is hot. If you're new to the delights of chilli you might be better off starting with the milder recipes in Jeremy Dun's book.

Happy eating!



UPDATE APRIL 17

Just so there is no confusion, the author of this most excellent book is Jeremy Dun.  This is not to be confused with Jeremy Duns, a journalist/writer who has been accused of being an internet bully.

Jeremy Duns thinks that my review is somehow trolling him. I'm not sure why he thinks that because I did buy the book and enjoyed it.



It is ironic that Jeremy Duns is accusing me of being a troll, as he is the one with the reputation of being an internet bully and troll. YOU CAN READ ABOUT HIS REPUTATION AS AN INTERNET BULLY BY CLICKING HERE


No comments: