Monday, May 12, 2014

Blood Bath In The UK Kindle Top 40

Blood Bath - a collection of seven Jack Nightingale short stories, has just entered the UK Kindle Top 40 which is pretty good going as it was only published ten days ago.



What makes Blood Bath different from most books is that I bought the cover - and the title - long before I wrote the story.  I saw the cover on the website of Brandi Doane McCann who has done several covers for me, including the US editions of Lastnight and Nightshade and several of the Spider Shepherd short stories. She's a cracking designer and her covers are very reasonably priced.

You can see more of Brandi's work by clicking HERE

I thought the cover was so brilliant that I bought it without even having an idea for a plot!

I finally got around to writing a short story to go with the title and cover earlier this year, but I thought it might be a good idea to see what other writers would do with it.

I asked if anyone else wanted to have a go and to my delight six other writers came forward with stories, including bestselling thriller writer Matt Hilton, author of the Joe Hunter series. He joined writers Alex Shaw, Conrad Jones and Andrew Peters, and Nightingale fans Robert Waterman and Lynnette Waterman.  All put their own spin on the character, and it was fascinating to see how different writers built such different stories based on a cover and a title.

Blood Bath is free - you can get it at Smashwords for all eReaders or for the Kindle by clicking HERE

It was a fascinating experiment, and readers seemed to enjoy it too, as it has been downloaded more than five thousand times already.  It might well be an experiment that I'll repeat!


No comments: